Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 13 - Belief and Doing the Right Thing

Today was a better day than Wednesday or Thursday.   I stayed within my points target, and ate 6 servings of vegetables.  (Tomorrow will do a weigh in - based on my overall assessment of this week I doubt that the scale will be my friend, but hopefully it won't be my enemy.) As an added bonus, my dissertation has been approved, registered in the university database, and I am now entitled to call myself "Doctor".  Hurray!

Given that today was successful, it's helpful for me to reflect on what worked.  I did something a bit unusual .  In her blog, Patrice S. has an entry that speaks to the value of doing something different --it's a good reminder (her blog appears to be down, but once it's back up I'll insert a link to it.)  In any event, today's unusual action was beginning the day by visualizing myself as a slender person and making my choices the way a slender person would.  I can't take credit for the idea (it came from someone else with much more wisdom than me on these matters), but it did seem to make a difference.  It also helped at dinner tonight -we went out to celebrate at a very nice Greek restaurant in an old heritage house, with pretty yellow walls and hardwood floors.  Restaurant portions these days are huge, and I was able to stop myself after a half portion, while still enjoying and really tasting my meal.  It was a minor triumph of sorts.

Why was it a triumph?  Well, I've been talking a lot with other people outside the blogosphere about my weight loss journey, and a key piece of advice I've received relates to belief in the possibility of weight loss.  That idea may sound obvious, but if I'm completely honest with myself, this is one dimension of my life where belief is in short supply.  So today was a day when I worked hard on the belief aspect, and it produced results in terms of the right behaviour.  Seems like an action worth repeating again tomorrow.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has spent a lot of energy reflecting on the belief-behaviour link.

Will write again soon - a caveat is that early Sunday morning I will be leaving for three weeks of holidays.  I will do the blog on my trip, but won't have daily internet access, so coverage will still be a bit spotty.  In between my days of internet access, I'll keep writing and saving the posts on my laptop until I have a chance to upload.  In the meantime, for anyone who is reading --stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment