Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 15 - Short Update from the Road

Sunday October 4, 2009

Not a very exciting post tonight, but a positive one.  Today is the first day of a road trip down to California accompanied by my trusty dog Gromette and in a convoy with my parents.  We're now in a road-side motel in Idaho (small town called Mountain Home) --weather not so great on the trip so far, and no gym in this place so exercise goal not met.  However, I have succeeded in avoiding chocolate (a rare feat for a road trip), plus have stayed within my points target, and consumed 7 servings of fruits and vegetables in (salad at a Subway franchise for lunch, and green salad at a salad bar in a local restaurant for dinner).  So --given that driving is a time when I am often tempted to pig out, I'm feeling pretty good about today.  I will confess to indulging in a diet Dr. Pepper (something my husband scolds me about --nasty chemicals), and some diet breath mints. 

Given the dreary weather and the boredom of the drive, I would have ordinarily taken the waitress up on her offer of pie for dessert (and this being Middle America, those pie servings looked big and calorie-laden).  However, being full of fibre has really helped dim my interest in the sweet stuff.  As some of you may recall from my first posting, I do have a gastric band to restrict my food intake, but it does nothing to stop me from eating chocolate and sweets -those just seem to melt into liquid instantly and pass right through the constricted part.  The fibre, however, seems to be acting like an off switch for my cravings.  So maybe, just maybe, this thing might work.  On second thought -maybe is a poor choice of words.  It will work, it must work!

Well, the driving has made for a pretty long day, and the dog has already demonstrated more good sense than I have by flaking out in her travel crate.  Think I'll call it a night, and will post again when I get to another spot with an internet connection. 

Hope all is well for anyone out there reading.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, chocolate, even I struggle to contain its threat. No point, really. Enjoy your trip :-).

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete